Sunday, December 9, 2012

Little Joys Like Sardines

   This week has been as busy and hard working as ever, but it has carried with it a sheen of pleasure that warrants a little attention. If life were always this joyful, this satisfying and easily understood, then I would quickly become an unbearable grinning idiot to my friends and family. Already, these past few days I have caught myself giggling aloud when no one is around to hear me. That's how good life is.

   Last weekend after the Christmas parade we attended in Cow Town (What?? I haven't posted that story yet? Oh gosh, that is how busy I have been!), Handsome and I brought home a gorgeous White Pine tree and have been decorating it piecemeal ever since. While last Christmas I used a wild Red Cedar from our forest and decorated the house plainly, organically, which was our mood at the time, this year I brought out only the bright colors and sparkling mesh and ribbons and tinsel, only the cheerful, jubilant stuff that matches our mood this year! I absolutely love it. It might stay up until July. Or until it's time to start vegetable seedlings indoors and I need the real estate again.

   Daily, between normal chores and running in only two-mile increments, I have been knocking out long standing projects from my massive to-do list. This is such a relief, you know? I can literally breathe more easily.

   We have made connections with friends this week, old and new, silver and gold, spending little slivers of time with fun people and making memories. The animals are all fluffy and warm ahead of the upcoming cold snap. All is well. Now, one day this week Romulus did chase Daphne so hard that she tore down a fence to escape his wrath, making it all the way to the road before slowing her run, but our wonderful neighbors helped keep her still until I could get outside and bring her home.

   Whew! Naughty, naughty llama.
   Llama drama.
   Momma llama drama.

   The bees are on the road to recovery after an invasion by wax moths. What? I haven't written in detail about that either? It really deserves a post of its own, as this is interesting stuff, if you're the least bit into bees. Which you should be. Maybe tomorrow. Anyway, I am relieved and grateful and encouraged about this whole process. Good stuff.



   Thursday night I was able to attend my nephew Dante's high school band concert and hear him play saxophone. It was wonderful. He is so good and talented, so smart and sweet, I feel very lucky to have him in my life. And he somewhat reluctantly allowed me to meet his pretty girlfriend, so that is a milestone I won't soon forget. I may or many not have taken an excessive amount of photos that night. And, unrelated, he may or may not invite me to future vents. We'll see. LOL



   Professional momentum and stressors are ever present for Handsome, but he continues to weather storm after storm and accomplish things that only embolden my pride in him.

   My youngest daughter asked to spent another day at the farm this week, right on the heels of that last delightful visit, and we had an even better time together than before! We baked, cooked, baked, discussed writing and spirituality, played the piano; we had lunch at home and another tea party and read aloud to each other chapters from Where the Red Fern Grows; we played with the animals; she helped us repair the fence felled by Daphne. We talked about fun, easy things and a few hard things, and we reached a golden, glittering understanding. We hugged and laughed and just loved. Love, love, love. That's what it's all about.

   I spoke briefly but meaningfully with my rather legendary Grandpa Rex this week. Just thinking about him makes me smile!

   Friday night our famous little Dinner Club With a Reading Problem convened to discuss Little Women and celebrate Christmas, We decorated cookies. We ate gluttonously. We shared our lives with each other and laughed some more. I love my book club girls so much, and I know they love me too. Kerri collected coats for delivery to New Jersey, where a colleague of hers is still recovering from the hurricane. We signed cards for all of our guest authors from this past year, and we made excellent plans for projects in early 2013. Stay tuned, folks... Book club has amazing things going on!

   Then yesterday Handsome and I accidentally slept late. Very very late, possibly thanks to an ongoing battle with some mysterious physical ailment. We rose with barely enough time to snag a few truck stop donuts then ready ourselves for a day of family visiting and Christmas shopping. The bulk of our day, after that, was spent soaking up love and laughter at my Aunt Marion's house. She is so special to me, always had been, and she and Uncle John were giving their six year old grandson a little birthday party to which we were invited. What a day!



   More cuddling, more love, a couple of fun movies last night, and Handsome and I are still running on full. I walk around constantly with happy butterflies in my stomach, excited about what we will experience day after day. Is this the Christmas spirit? I think so. I hope it is strong in your home, too. If you need a dose, we have lots of extra. Come on over!!

"It is Christmas in the Heart
That Puts Christmas in the Air."
~W.T. Ellis
xoxoxoxo

 

8 comments:

  1. Marie,

    So nice to read your joy. Instead of complaining about my breakfast-less pantry, I'm using those ugly & brown bananas to make a lovely & warm banana bread with walnuts. Looking forward to Hub's delight when he wakes up and then maybe climbing back into our snuggly bed for a nap. Finding love in the ordinary is my goal for discovering my holiday spirit these last few days of 2012, thanks for the inspiration!

    Love ya, mean it.
    Rose <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose! How did the banana bread turn out? And the snuggling... xoxo Thank you so much for dropping in. I think searching out love in ordinary parts of life is the secret to joy. For sure. Love YOU, mean it.

      Delete
  2. You radiate love, joy, happiness and beauty, my friend. I always feel warm inside after reading your journal. Happy, happy, happy. Love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Heather thank you!! XOXO You always say sweet things. I know we would be the best neighbors. Merry Christmas friend.

      Delete
  3. My goodness. I would love to one day visit you at the ranch, but am certain I could not keep up! So glad to hear your life and hearts are full of goodness. Have you read the Llama Llama Red Pajama books? Good grief, I love reading those books to the girls. Llama llama mad at mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know, Margi says that sometimes, but it's really not true. LOL But it does make me FEEL industrious to hear it. haha Llama Llama books? Some Facebook friends of mine suggested them, but I haven't read them yet. I don't think they were out yet when my girls were being read to, but I must check them out for my nieces. LOL Thanks for the good wishes! It feels amazing. xoxo Hoping all is well in Brevard too!

      Delete
  4. If only these feelings could last forever and be insulated from life's pesky trials.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if only... I am sometimes surprised by how quickly that ridiculous joy is dimmed. LOL But I know it will be back any second now. And the roller coaster helps us appreciate the best times a little more.

      Delete

Hey thanks for commenting! I love hearing from people. It's the best. I have recently added word verification, a necessary annoyance. Have a wonderful day!

pinnable

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...