Thursday, August 29, 2013

Cool Morning Work

   Hello there! This is Handsome's birthday week. He has ***miraculously*** taken off from the Commish for several days, and I am so happy. He needs the break, like for serious, and I love having him home. Each day this week is different.

   Today? Today we slept a bit late and skipped Hot Tub Summit in favor of working outside while the temps are just shy of hot. He has several fun new toys out in his car shop, and they should keep him busy for many hours. 

   What shall I do with this time? I have the craving for a good, long run building pressure in my legs and in my ribs, that is true. But also... The gardens. Oh my. Today is sort of "makeover" day for the entry gardens. I have spent so much time in the edibles' beds this summer that I have let myself grow sort of numb to the worn out, stressed, and cluttered spots you see below.

   Brace yourself. 


     This is the front door. Those lights used to be super cute. But the plug got smashed in the door, so they need to go. That wreath looks so unfinished and blah. The gladiolus have been pecked nearly to death by the chickens. And behind this shipment of cheezits (that's a whole other story) sits a really worn out concrete urn full of who knows what.


   Walking down the sidewalk, which is dotted with goose poop, we arrive at the jungle-like end of the east flower bed where I have collected rusty milk cans and this fabulous rusty iron garden bench. The idea is great in my head, but it just hasn't panned out in reality. All of this needs some fresh eyes.

   But thank the garden heavens for zinnias. Amen?


   Oh boy. This is the kitchen door area. I actually love love love this tiny spot on the farm, but I am slightly ashamed to show it to you. This is where the herb bed brings me so much joy. This is where that green and burlap chair cradles watermelon vines. And this is where I grill steaks and chicken breasts a few times a week. Oh, and clearly it is also where we hang our wet clothes and swimsuits at the end of an outdoor day. Yesterday, as you can plainly see, was an outdoor day. That is my running bra and Handsome's swimsuit and tee shirt.


   This is the herb bed again, looking up from behind it. Isn't the morning sun glorious? Irresistible. It makes everything look so good, even it its messy jungle-like state, that sometimes I just let it be. Like, for three months at a time. I have plenty of weeding, feeding, and mulching to do in this area today, and if any bare spots show up I intend to fill them with something new. Perhaps zinnias.

   So that is my morning plan! I am looking forward to a cleaner, fresher look to the house entries, a cleaner, fresher mind and body after a nice, long run, and then some more birthday celebrating with my good looking guy.

   What do you have planned today? How is your garden looking? Are we still friends, despite the chaos and neglect I have shown you this morning?

Confession is Good for the Soul
XOXOXOXO

pinnable

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...