Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Proverbs 31 for the Single Woman (Guest Post)

Today I am so happy and honored to introduce to you fine people 
a remarkable young woman named Misti. 
She has been in our famous little Oklahoma Dinner Club With a Reading Problem 
for about a year, but I only learned this week that she also writes a blog.(http://scribblesandmusings.wordpress.com/) 
I became quickly enamored with her forthright and tender approach to Bible themes 
and asked her to contribute her thoughts to my study on Proverbs 31, 
which she graciously agreed to do. Thanks Misti!!
I think you'll really enjoy what she has written, especially if you too are a single gal. 
Please say hello and share your thoughts!




Proverbs 31 for the Single Woman


   For the longest time, I’ve thought that Proverbs 31 was something to attain to, but not entirely applicable to me. After all, I’m not married. I don’t have children. The closest thing I have to a dependent is a shaggy mutt of a dog who lives in my back yard most of the year. Other than a bit of attention, some food, water, and shelter in from the weather, he’s pretty content and low maintenance.

   I’ve been asked once or twice before to share my thoughts on Proverbs 31, and I have to admit, I felt pretty inadequate. I don’t have a family to provide for. I don’t have a husband to sit in the gate and be known for his wisdom. I don’t have children to rise up and call me blessed.

   But tonight, I thought about the story of Tabitha, or Dorcas, in the book of Acts. She was a woman who took what she had and made use of it to help others. So much so that when she passed, the people begged that Peter would pray that God would raise her from the dead because of their need of her.

   It blended with something else I’ve been thinking of lately – the impact of the single, childless woman in society. From the perspective of someone who does genealogy for a hobby, the single, childless women in the families tend to be forgotten. It would seem that they've left no legacy. But then, I have thought about the ones I have known about.

   There is the blind aunt of my great-great grandmother who lived next door to her family and helped with the family duties and the children. Her story was passed down through the family, and she is not forgotten.

   And the ones who have touched my life:

   Sis. Hattie Montgomery was an elderly lady in the church when my dad was a child. She married, but never had children of her own. All the children who went through her Sunday School, or who knew her as Aunt Hattie, or who grew up seeing her faithfulness in the church and heard stories about how she helped build the church building, or the stories of her near mishaps while continuing to drive into her 90s, has forgotten her. She left a legacy.

   Sis. Jewel was the quiet lady at church who filled in as Sunday School teacher, or who prayed. She was my brother-in-law’s great aunt. And she was the one who told me I should be singing in the choir and encouraged me to do that. She never married or had children, but she isn't forgotten. I’ve heard about how she was such a help to Sis. Hattie in her later years, and always there to help out those who were in need.

   My own aunt, Jennie, has been a blessing to the many children she has led in the singing part of children’s meeting at church. She’s a woman of so many talents, and indispensable at the job she has done. She’s touched many lives in her work at the junior high for several decades. Her nieces and nephews, and their children will never forget her.

   These women didn't have children of their own, but they have touched many lives. I see the traits of the Proverbs 31 woman in these ladies. They have been resourceful, talented, busy looking out for the ones in their circle of influence, and a great blessing to the family, the church and the community. I appreciate their good example, and the legacy they leave to us.

Again, Misti, thank you so much for sharing these beautiful thoughts 
and memories of some very special women in your life! 
I appreciate that you have illuminated the loving traits of a Proverbs 31 woman, 
traits that any woman can adapt to her own circumstances. 
Support, encouragement, care taking, tending, availability... Just love.

Love Your People. Whoever They Are
xoxoxoxo

1 comment:

  1. I think there's more to the Proverbs 31 woman than people initially realize when just reading the passage. I've incidentally been reading a new book by Dr. Tony Evans and his daughter, Chrystal Evans Hurst, called "Kingdom Woman" that has really given me new insights. Right off the bat they talk about the Proverbs 31 woman being the hallmark of kingdom women, "But the Proverbs 31 woman is not the model of a perfect woman. Neither is a kingdom woman called to perfection. Women, you can be a Proverbs 31 woman and more - but that doesn't mean you do it all at the same time." They tlk about life flowing through seasons and about getting help, not trying to do it all. It's really eye-opening. If you're interested in Dr. Evans' book, they have information and free devotional downloads at kingdomwomanbook.com. I hope it blesses you as it has blessed me.

    ReplyDelete

Hey thanks for commenting! I love hearing from people. It's the best. I have recently added word verification, a necessary annoyance. Have a wonderful day!

pinnable

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...