Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A Yummy Book Combination

   I realized something last night that sort of bears mentioning: At present I am reading two books, each a personal memoir and each thoroughly engrossing and completely worth the time to read. Together they form the most unusual and delicious reading combination in recent memory. Like a swirl margarita, if you're into that. Together they are revealing insight into all kinds of life experiences I will probably never have, and they display two completely unique writing styles, yet they seem to be aiming at incredibly similar themes.It's almost like the two books were written separately but as part of a grand design. They are:



...and...

Do you know Jenny yet? Get addicted over at  http://thebloggess.com/.


   This is kinda fun. I am accustomed to reading two wildly different books at once, to keep all of my muscles dancing and warm. I'll often be reading, say, something instructional or maybe a bit of spiritual writing against a piece of purely indulgent adventure fiction. But this? This is a unique pairing. These two books are actually more alike than you might think, even if the two authors may appear to be apples and oranges. I can't wait to finish them both and write proper reviews.

   In addition to the fact that they are both recently written memoirs, I discovered last night that the life stories of both our forty third President and the wildly popular Bloggess intersect in the town of Midland, Texas. Two richly textured personalities, two lives that have affected untold others in the last two decades, both sprung up from the hard, dry, earth of Midland, that oil crust that apparently breeds fascinating people.

   I really am having a hard time every day deciding which one to pick up first, they are both so good in their own ways. And I am accumulating a bevvy of notes comparing and contrasting George W with Jenny Lawson, a mental exercise that probably seems pointless to you. But you try to read these side by side and not see the parallels!

   Okay, gotta go. I am off to either be inspired by the bloom of a political career or laugh my tummy flat at the way Lawson tells her sad stories. I promise to write completely useless reviews of both books soon. 

People Are People So Why Should It Be...
You and I Should Get Along So Awfully?
xoxoxo


2 comments:

  1. Haven't heard of Jenny Lawson but am heading over to check her out. I'm reading two books right now - The Paper Garden which is the biography of Mary Granville - an 18th century aristocrat who created a series of botanical paper portraits late in her life AND Fifty Shades of Grey (which I've given up reading because it's trash). Now THAT'S diverse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Marie! I'm looking forward to reading these reviews. I like your philosophy of reading two entirely different or opposing books at the same time. I tend to stick the the same style most of the time. I think I need to broaden my horizons a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey thanks for commenting! I love hearing from people. It's the best. I have recently added word verification, a necessary annoyance. Have a wonderful day!

pinnable

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...