It is now almost five in the morning, a perfectly reasonable hour
for writing and drinking coffee and organizing my crazy self,
but I have actually been laying awake for many hours.
My mind is spinning and I feel rested enough,
but a little something tells me I'm going to pay for this nocturnal indiscretion later.
We have an incredibly busy day ahead,
with tasks touching almost every major area of life.
Wish me luck today?
See: The dining room table is chaotic, filled to the edges and piled high with the contents of yesterday's massive kitchen purge. It isn't too pretty, yet somehow a vase of fresh flowers from a friend, a plate of sparkling, sugar coated muffins, and my writing stuff all make it bearable. Oh! And a bowl of drying okra. I really need to tell you guys about this soon.
Hear: The fridge is humming meditatively, and from time to time I hear the sleepy trill of a guinea outside. Now the air conditioner has kicked on. I am trying to move about as quietly as possible so Handsome can tank up on rest. Our bedroom is, of course, directly above the noisiest possible downstairs room.
Smell: Buttery, cinnamon-sugar coating of these terrible donut muffins immediately to my right. Freshly brewed, strong, excellent coffee. And faintly bleached water from the vase of fresh flowers.
Taste: Perfect first cup of coffee. And OKAY OKAY one tiny little bite of cinnamon-sugar donut muffin. Sheesh. Sue me.
Touch: Invisibly soft tank top and cotton PJ shorts with Swiss dots all over them. I love the soft, nubby texture of Swiss dots, the feel of those little bunches of stitches. It reminds me of milk glass. Also, the cool, still air conditioned house. The wood and iron chair holding me. A hot mug in my left hand and a skinny hotel ink pen in my right.
- About this book I just finished, about depression and anxiety being more than just moods for some people.
- About the incredible force of ego in human relationships.
- Is our nation really as divided now as we were during the Civil War? If so, to what end?
- Do horses dream? I woke up having dreamed of our sweet behemoth Chanta, and I was just wondering if he ever dreams about me. I think he is on the verge of saddle love. I mostly think this because it's been a few months since I had to make an emergency trip to the dentist.
- What am I going to do about church?
- What can I possibly bake this morning for Handsome to take to the office for a food day? Having cleaned out the pantry and fridge yesterday, supplies are unusually low. I shall send a box and a half of off brand cereal.
- Nervous, happy, tense excitement about the possibility of teaching a home school cooking class to my two daughters and their adorable stepbrother.
- Worried about one of my sweet sisters.
- Worried for two of my wonderful girlfriends.
- Missing my Grandpa a lot, I really need to go see him. He should totally teach a gardening class.
- I feel so healthy. A bit on the sugary side this week, but I know how to fix that. I feel so deep down grateful for my overall good health. I finally see that this is a blessing not to be taken for granted.
You guys, I wish you the happiest, healthiest,
most peaceful and productive Friday ever!
Whatever your appointment sheet looks like,
However many thousands of big or little things are crowding your mind,
Whoever is pulling at your beautiful heart,
Just take things in stride.
You can control yourself, not others.
So don't sweat stuff. It might not be about you.
Still, your imagination is powerful beyond belief,
and God loves you and wants to answer your prayers.
Life is good.
It's hard, but it's good.
Count your blessings today,
and I bet you this plate of sparkly muffins
they will multiply right before your eyes.
Be Sweet, TGIF!